Irresistible Book Design for Self-Publishers
You’ve spent countless hours perfecting your manuscript. Let the rest of the book publishing process be easy, and know that I won’t take a cut of any of your book sales. You keep all the profits, you retain the rights to your book, and you are the publisher.
I’m Jennifer Omner, owner of ALL Publications and an award-winning book designer, serving as a guide through the book publishing maze. After your book has been professionally edited, I offer the following services.
- Interior book design: making the pages of your book look pleasing to read and formatting the file correctly for offset printing presses or print on demand. I follow the rules in The Chicago Manual of Style to ensure a quality, professional product.
- Cover design: making your book cover shine above the competition so it’s the one purchased. Take advantage of my marketing background here.
- E-book design: creating Kindle and ePub files so your book can be read on Kindles, iPads, Nooks, and other e-readers.
- Book publishing numbers: helping you obtain the appropriate numbers for your book including ISBN, bar code, and Library of Congress Control Number. Please visit my Resources page and see the links under Book Publishing Numbers.
- Book printing: ensuring the files of your book comply with printer’s specifications and meet prepress standards. Matching your specific book with a compatible, quality book printer and coordinating the process through delivery to you. Or recommending sources if your print run is under 500 books. If you are planning to use CreateSpace, Lightning Source, or IngramSpark, I know their file specifications.
- Marketing material for authors: designing business cards, bookmarks, and postcards to promote your book.
- Marketing tips: enter your email address in the box to the right to receive my free, twice monthly e-newsletter full of publishing industry news.
Please take a look around my site and contact me regarding your project. I look forward to hearing from you!
Click here to view books I’ve designed: covers, interior pages, e-books, or all. Great books, great clients!
Current Book Tip
As a book designer, I’m occasionally asked, “Why do you charge to create an e-book file?” One of the reasons is that I take care in creating files and I test them thoroughly, so you can be confident that they will render well.
Here’s an example from a current project and when I use the term “device” I am referring to an e-reader/e-reading device like a Kindle or an iPad.
In this novel, there are lines in the print book showing where the protagonist needs to sign a document. In the e-book conversion those lines were converted to images and placed in the file. Those lines/images did not display on some devices, which made it a confusing reading experience. I added code for a line and the appropriate margins to set it off. Testing on devices I noticed that I needed to add more code to keep the line together with the signer’s name, so the name lands underneath the line, not at the top of the next page by itself, which can happen based on the font size a reader selects. When I do this, I’m working with the XHTML and CSS code and in no way is this an automatic process. I also know to strip out the color code of black, which is added by InDesign, otherwise the lines won’t show up in night mode on devices. The same applies to the text.
Award-winning Book Designer Available to Design Your Book
I designed the interior and co-created the cover design of Michael Hagedorn’s Post-Dated: The Schooling of an Irreverent Bonsai Monk. The book won first place in the 2009 Publishers Association of the West Book Design Awards recognizing superior design and outstanding production quality.