Irresistible Book Design for Self-Publishers
You’ve spent countless hours perfecting your manuscript. Let the rest of the book publishing process be easy, and know that I won’t take a cut of any of your book sales. You keep all the profits, you retain the rights to your book, and you are the publisher.
I’m Jennifer Omner, owner of ALL Publications and an award-winning book designer, serving as a guide through the book publishing maze. After your book has been professionally edited, I offer the following services.
- Interior book design: making the pages of your book look pleasing to read and formatting the file correctly for offset printing presses or print on demand. I follow the rules in The Chicago Manual of Style to ensure a quality, professional product.
- Cover design: making your book cover shine above the competition so it’s the one purchased. Take advantage of my marketing background here.
- E-book design: creating Kindle and ePub files so your book can be read on Kindles, iPads, Nooks, and other e-readers.
- Book publishing numbers: helping you obtain the appropriate numbers for your book including ISBN, bar code, and Library of Congress Control Number. Please visit my Resources page and see the links under Book Publishing Numbers.
- Book printing: ensuring the files of your book comply with printer’s specifications and meet prepress standards. Matching your specific book with a compatible, quality book printer and coordinating the process through delivery to you. Or recommending sources if your print run is under 500 books. If you are planning to use Lightning Source or CreateSpace, I know their file specifications.
- Marketing material for authors: designing business cards, bookmarks, and postcards to promote your book.
- Marketing tips: enter your email address in the box to the right to receive my free, twice monthly e-newsletter full of publishing industry news.
Please take a look around my site and contact me regarding your project. I look forward to hearing from you!
Click here to view books I’ve designed: covers, interior pages, e-books, or all. Great books, great clients!
Current Book Tip
I recently attended a webinar on book metadata, which is the information about a book: title, author, ISBN, subject category, book summary, trim size, etc. One key takeaway was to be as specific as possible when entering the subject category in the retailer’s form fields. The Book Industry Study Group (BISG) provides the standardized list of subject headings. An example of specificity would be to use “HIS027100 HISTORY / Military / World War II” instead of “HIS000000 HISTORY / General” because it is more descriptive and will help buyers find the book.
Also, use unique keywords (ones that aren’t found in the other fields) for maximum exposure. For example, don’t waste a keyword on “History” in the example above because it will be pulled from the subject category.
Award-winning Book Designer Available to Design Your Book
I designed the interior and co-created the cover design of Michael Hagedorn’s Post-Dated: The Schooling of an Irreverent Bonsai Monk. The book won first place in the 2009 Publishers Association of the West Book Design Awards recognizing superior design and outstanding production quality.