Typesetting for College and University Presses
Formatting text is my specialty and I’m very good at it. A particularly interesting project with Hillsdale College was one volume with more than 2600 pages. The project manager had this to say to me:
“Our copy editor and I have looked through the PDF and came away very impressed with your work. You have done a very good job of laying out the text as economically as possible, given the complexity of the material.”
Please contact me to discuss your book design project needs.
Irresistible Book Design for Self-Publishers
You’ve spent countless hours perfecting your manuscript. Let the rest of the book publishing process be easy, and know that I won’t take a cut of your book sales. You keep all the profits, you retain the rights to your book, and you are the publisher.
I’m Jennifer Omner, owner of ALL Publications and an award-winning book designer, helping writers become published authors. After your book has been professionally edited, I offer the following services.
- Interior book design: making the pages of your book look pleasing to read and formatting the file correctly for offset printing presses or print on demand (POD). I follow the rules in The Chicago Manual of Style to ensure a quality, professional product.
- Cover design: making your book cover shine above the competition so it’s the one purchased. Take advantage of my marketing background here.
- E-book design: creating Kindle and ePub files so your book can be read on Kindles, iPads, Nooks, and other e-readers.
- Book publishing numbers: helping you obtain the appropriate numbers for your book including ISBN, bar code, and Library of Congress Control Number. Please visit my Resources page and see the links under Book Publishing Numbers.
- Book printing: ensuring the files of your book comply with printer’s specifications and meet prepress standards. Matching your specific book with a compatible, quality book printer and coordinating the process through delivery to you. Or recommending sources if your print run is under 500 books. If you are planning to use CreateSpace, Lightning Source, or IngramSpark, I know their file specifications.
- POD account set up: offering my book design clients account set up on CreateSpace, Lightning Source, and IngramSpark.
- Marketing material for authors: designing business cards, bookmarks, and postcards to promote your book.
- Marketing tips: enter your email address in the box to the right to receive my free, twice monthly e-newsletter full of publishing industry news.
Please take a look around my site and contact me regarding your project. I look forward to hearing from you!
Click here to view books I’ve designed: covers, interior pages, e-books, or all. Great books, great clients!
Current Book Tip
Know that book design is a specialized skilled and not all graphic designers understand the technical specifications for print. If the person designing your book cover doesn’t ask you what the finished size (“trim size”) of your book will be, this should be a warning sign to you. Countless times I’ve received files for print and the front cover is a random size. I’m currently working on 6 x 9 inch book and the front cover file is 5.5 x 8.1 inches. My book design clients often say I work magic, but, unfortunately, when there aren’t enough pixels (resolution) in the original file my magic is limited. If the previous designer has “left the business” (as in this case), the client ends up paying more than necessary. I don’t want this to happen to you.
I design and create print-ready files of the text/interior pages for my clients. About half the time I design the covers too. Other times I receive a front cover design (as is the case illustrated above), and then I create the full-cover print-ready file which includes the front, back, and spine.
Award-winning Book Designer Available to Design Your Book
I designed the interior and co-created the cover design of Michael Hagedorn’s Post-Dated: The Schooling of an Irreverent Bonsai Monk. The book won first place in the 2009 Publishers Association of the West Book Design Awards recognizing superior design and outstanding production quality. For more awards, please see the About page.